© 2018 by County of San Luis Obispo Countywide Water Conservation Program.


All new urban and rural development and new irrigated crop production in the PRGWB (excluding the Atascadero Sub-basin) are required to offset new water use at a 1:1 ratio. New construction is required to pay water offset fees to fund projects to reduce existing water usage on other properties within the basin. A list of fees is available below under "New Construction". All new or expanded irrigated agriculture is required to obtain Agricultural Offset Clearance, described below under "Agriculture Off-Set".


The Board of Supervisors approved water offset fees to fund turf removal and plumbing retrofit projects as described below: 


  • Option #1: Individual residences, public facilities, and commercial uses may apply for up to a $6,000 rebate for turf removal ("Cash for Grass"); a $250 rebate to upgrade an old washing machine ("Washer Rebate Program"); and free replacement of up to two toilets, two showerheads, and two faucet aerators per property ("Plumbing Retrofit Program"). The application forms for these programs are available below.

  • Option #2: Public facilities and commercial uses may apply for up to $10,000 to fund turf removal and plumbing retrofit projects that also create a public benefit. Projects need to quantify the anticipated water savings. If interested, email waterprograms@co.slo.ca.us to start your project application.

  • Option #3: Any project requesting over $10,000 needs approval from the County Board of Supervisors.

Groundwater Sustainability Plan - The Countywide Water Conservation Program in the Paso Basin may be replaced by the new Groundwater Sustainability Plan (GSP) that is being drafted per State requirements (the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act) under the authority of the Paso Basin Cooperative Committee. The GSP is scheduled to be adopted by January 2020  and will establish a new set of management actions for the Paso Basin, but will likely take years to implement. In the meantime, the programs described below will remain in place. Visit the Paso Basin Groundwater Communication Portal for more information: http://pasogcp.com/

For more information on policies, fees, and programs that apply in the PRGWB, please choose one of the following options: